Modern times have made everything more convenient. And that includes getting a straighter smile! Invisalign treatment uses clear, removable aligners to align your teeth. Not only is it incredibly discreet but gives you so much flexibility. You can still eat your favorite foods and easily maintain your oral health! However, with the easy removal of Invisalign’s clear trays comes the risk of losing them. here to guide you on what to do so you can continue toward your picture-perfect smile!
#1. Stop, Breathe, Look
First, take a deep breath. Losing aligners is not uncommon! Feeling stressed out will only shut your brain down and keep you from problem-solving.
Aligners often get misplaced when they are taken out during mealtimes. You might have wrapped them in a napkin to keep them safe or placed them on a tray near your plate. They could easily be mistaken for garbage. Take the time to look all around your dining area and in any nearby trash bins. Once you find your aligner, be sure to thoroughly sanitize it before placing it in your mouth.
Invisalign trays can also get lost during contact sports or rigorous activities; you should take them out during practice or games. It is wise to use a mouthguard instead. Checking around your locker, as well as in the bag with your belongings, might lead you right back to your lost aligner.
#2. Reach Out to Your Orthodontist
If you are unable to find your aligners, despite your best efforts, the next step is to call your orthodontist. There may give suggest either of these two options:
- Switch to a new set of aligners. This may be an option if you were only a few days from moving on to the next aligner in your treatment. However, you should not do this without your dentist’s approval. Moving to a new aligner too quickly can cause significant discomfort and other issues.
- Go back to wearing an old set of aligners. Wearing a previous aligner can prevent your teeth from shifting too far out of place while you wait for your orthodontist to receive a replacement for the one that got lost.
Tips to Prevent Losing Your Aligners
The saying “an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure” holds true for even Invisalign! Here are some simple but essential tips to help you keep track of your aligners:
- Always put your aligners in their case when you take them out. Having a brightly colored case can be easier to keep track of.
- Have a dedicated and consistent place where you place your case
- Keep your aligners in your mouth as much as you can. Only remove them when it’s necessary, like eating or drinking something other than water, or cleaning your teeth.
- Don’t place them on a plate, tray, or wrap them in a napkin. They are more likely to be accidentally thrown away or lost.
If your aligners have disappeared, all is not lost! By reviewing these tips and giving your dentist a call, you will soon be back on track to your dream smile.
About the Practice
Willow Bend Orthodontics of Plano keeps the smiles of Plano healthy and beautiful through their two board-certified orthodontists. They offer a full range of orthodontic services, including clear/ceramic braces and Invisalign. By using advanced technology and customized orthodontic treatment plans, they can help you achieve your dream smile with ease and comfort. To schedule an appointment, contact them through their website or call (972) 732-1400.